Wednesday 19 January 2011

For Gabi / Yo, también

Today I made a pair of earrings for the wife of a colleague. I have never met her - but I know that she likes natural things, she adores bellydance just as I do and that she also likes things made by hand. And also, that these days she loves wearing red and dark red or magenta colour.

So the earrings I made for her try to be a shy combination of whatever she might like. I just hope one day I will see her wearing them.



But there is something more I would like to share with you today.

For those who know me it is no news that I am a huge fan of world cinema. It can be anything truly valuable and meaningful coming from any corner of the world, movies from Vietnam to Iraq, but yesterday I saw a film made in Europe. It's a Spanish movie from 2009, the title is "Yo, también", or "Me too" in English (the Hungarian title is so stupid that I will not even mention it).



In a nutshell the story is about a 34-year-old guy with Down-syndrome who after finishing university (which is already a feat) starts working in his first job. There he meets a woman whom he feels for even though the two could hardly be more different: the lady spends her nights at discos picking up guys for one-night stands. But against all odds the two start a serious, but still laughter-filled relationship somewhere between friendship and love, but however we call it, it is honest. I will not spoil the story as I hope many of you will take the time to watch it.

Actually it did not clear up from my mind even for the night. While I was sleeping, the back of my mind tried to figure out the whole story, what could have been happening in the heart and soul of these two people, what the end really means and why it was all so beautiful.


The leading actress is no other than Lola Dueñas, whom you could have already seen in "Mar adentro" ("The Sea Inside", 2004), another great movie.

There is so much to learn from this movie, go and see it- and if you are from Hungary just like me, I've got good news for you: it is on at the cinemas, go hurry up and buy a ticket for you and your loved one!

No comments:

Post a Comment